Types of identifiers as standard.
The unique identifier is really important. Today the most popular identifiers are used:
- DOIs – assigned to individual articles at the point of publication, and by platforms such as figshare and Dryad to other outputs (including datasets, images, and more);
- Handle.net identifiers – often used in institutional repositories
- PubMedID – typically associated with health sciences research
- arXiv ID – Physics, Mathematics & Computer Sciences
- ADS ID – Astrophysics data system
- SSRN ID – Social Sciences outputs
- RePEC ID – economics research
- URN (Uniform Resource Name) identifiers
- ISBNs – books hosted on publisher domains and google books
USEFUL online journal for all published articles issue DOI and Handle identifiers.